Wednesday, March 1, 2017

New Beginnings Part 2: What & Why

Hi! Welcome back!

Okay, now that greetings are in order, let's get into it. There is no time to lose.

I know for a fact, since I have been exploring film topics since the beginning of the year, that I want to do a science fiction short film. Which is like whoa since I've never attempted anything other than realistic fiction, or at least attempted seriously.

In the past year, since my previous project, my viewing habits and tastes have changed. I've always had this fondness of Dystopian and Utopian societies as well as post-apocalyptic plots. Films such as Children of Men (2006), Equilibrium (2002), The Purge (2013) and television shows such as Black Mirror (2012 - present), Doctor Who (2005 to present), The 100 ( to present) have stirred up an interest in science fiction. Most of these fall within the sub-genre of soft science fiction, which as opposed to hard science fiction, focuses on psychology, economics, political science, sociology and anthropology. This is the sub-genre I was aiming to create within.

Another, more specific sub-genre is that of social science fiction, which focuses on the themes of society and human nature. This sub-genre typically deals with the social commentary and allegories. One of the reasons I was drawn to the genre is because of the *current political climate.* Novels such as Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 and both George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm stem from this sub-genre, along with other Dystopian, Utopian, and post-apocalyptic stories.

As for my own plot, I'm still tossing around ideas. I was sure of my idea at least 5 times until I thought it over more and scrapped the entire thing. Only a few things have stayed the same throughout my trials.

  • a single protagonist - young adult male
  • a STRONG devotion to straying from cliches while maintaining the conventions of the genre
  • a suburban and developed setting 
  • current or slightly advanced time period
  • subtle, yet scathing, social commentary
However, I must keep brainstorming and researching the genre. I will keep you posted. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment