Thursday, March 9, 2017

Aesthetic

I'd like to further explain how I want my film to look because I have a pretty good idea on what I want, but I have yet to explain it. I know I want it to be a trippy experience, with many extreme close ups and odd angles to create an uncomfortable feeling throughout the film.

Within the cinematography I would like to have a lower saturation and a low-key blue/grey tint to the images, to evoke a colder and more dramatic feeling. Recently having watched the film Her, I fell in love with the cinematography and how they portrayed the futuristic world. The colors were simultaneous warm and cold and the color palette really helped evoke feeling throughout the film. 

Still from my film opening The Happier Times
The lighting would be similar to my previous AS level project, with a main natural light source that leaves the room with an ominous glow. From the films I've seen, this is the type of look I seem to appreciate the most. I enjoy working with natural light sources and not having too much sun. The dull lighting helps evoke the feelings I'm trying to achieve. 

Still from the short thriller film Echoes
Another inspiration within look (and editing) was my classmate Santiago Triana's film opening from the past year Further. Having worked with Santiago before and making my first major film in a film festival with him, we hold very similar creative attractions to how we like our films to look. His film also dwells within somewhat the same genre of science fiction and has a very trippy feel to it

One example of what I want to have my film look like to accomplish the trippy editing is to play around with chroma key, or green screen, and masking in editing. I've been playing around with my personal film editor, Filmora, and I've been venturing into what it can do. I really want to achieve an overall "drug trip" from the film. To do so I wanted to include scenes and shots where the protagonist is cloned in the shot, having multiple versions of himself in the shot. When I researched and watched short psychological thriller and science fiction films online, I stumbled across Echoes, a psychological thriller that is super trippy and deals with the two lives on different sides of a mirror. Seemingly easy to replicate, the effect of having a doubles on screen is something I really want to do.

Also using cinematic bars, which are the black bars placed over film to create a more professional and cinematic look to the film. By creating a smaller screen ratio, it makes the film overall look better in my own opinion, since a lot of the empty and unsused space is removed. This is a common convention throughout all of contemporary films. Another reason being my films theoretical film festival unveiling, films viewed in theaters typically have black cinema bars


No comments:

Post a Comment